March 17, 2017 – Global legal recruiter Taylor Root has entered the U.S., opening a new office in New York. It also added Helen Howard to serve as its new leader. The New York team recruits for the vast majority of corporations, with experience in recruiting newly qualified lawyers to general counsels and partners. It specializes in the placement of legal and compliance professionals for the legal, financial services and commerce & industry sectors.
“The New York launch is a very exciting time for Taylor Root, strengthening our global offering by establishing an on-the-ground presence in the U.S.,” said Ms. Howard. “We look forward to partnering with the U.S. counterparts of our existing clients as well as developing relationships with new ones. Long term, we see great growth potential for our business across the U.S. New York is the first step on that road.”
“We are extremely excited to launch Taylor Root in New York and begin a new chapter in our company’s history,” said Julian Stone, senior partner. “For many years, we have worked extensively with overseas hubs of U.S. headquartered companies, so it is a natural progression for us to be able to work with these organizations out of their U.S. headquarters. In doing so, this allows us to have strategic position in the legal center of America and strengthen our business offering by providing a globalized service to our clients.”
Ms. Howard, who joined the firm in 2013, retains the title of director – head of Taylor Root USA. She previously served as manager of in-house banking & financial services, specializing in placing lawyers and compliance professionals into in-house roles. Before joining Taylor Root, she served as a senior consultant at Experis Legal Futures, a division of ManpowerGroup, a boutique recruitment agency offering legal and compliance recruitment services.
Legal Sector Booming
Legal recruiting generally has been booming this year. According to Hunt Scanlon Media, lawyers employed by government agencies in particular have been on the move as a result of changes in government administrations. Employment of lawyers is projected to grow 10 percent through 2022. Demand for legal work is expected to be robust as individuals, businesses, and all levels of government require legal services in the U.S. and internationally as global economies expand.
Taylor Root is a legal and compliance executive search consultancy with offices in London, Düsseldorf, Milan, Munich, Frankfurt, Dubai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Sydney and now New York. Since 1989, the firm has built strong relationships with the world’s leading law firms, from Magic and Silver Circle to the top 100 international practices, as well as top FTSE 100 and 250 businesses in banking & finance and commerce & industry.
Taylor Root is part of The SR Group, which consists of six specialist recruitment brands: Brewer Morris, Carter Murray, Frazer Jones, SR Search, Taylor Root and Maximum Management.
U.K. Firms See Growth Opportunities In the U.S.
Taylor Root is not alone among highly specialized and expanding U.K.-based recruiting boutiques seeking refuge – and a business hedge – across the pond. As the fallout deepens in the post-Brexit world, the U.S. is looking more attractive to search firms headquartered in London who find they can just as easily expand their global search platforms to America.
Here’s a look at just a few of the recent moves made by search firms to the American shores, taken from the Hunt Scanlon Media newswire archives:
- Carmichael Fisher this week expanded into the U.S. with the opening of a new office in Los Angeles. The new location is led by Justin Hobday, supported locally by two regional directors, new hire Kimberley Rice and Ciara Kelleher, who transfers from the fIrm’s EMEA headquarters in London;
- La Fosse Associates opened its first U.S. office based in Santa Monica, the hub of Los Angeles’ thriving tech and digital sector, where it is already engaged in a number of assignments for organizations ranging from early stage start-ups to global concern. Tom Vaughan heads-up the new location and is responsible for establishing and expanding the firm’s West Coast presence. With almost a decade of executive search experience, he helped scale La Fosse from a team of 12 to 150 in just six years;
- SRi (Sports Recruitment International) just expanded to the U.S. with the appointment of Steven Moser as a consultant. Mr. Moser becomes the first SRi appointment to be permanently based stateside, expanding the firm’s global reach that already includes bases in Australia, Canada, China, Germany, Singapore, Switzerland and the U.K. He is based in Phoenix;
- London-based executive search firm Nolan Partners expanded its operations to North America with the opening of offices in Los Angeles and New York and the appointment of Chad Biagini as managing director of North America;
- U.K.-headquartered Expand Executive Search recently launched its first U.S. office, establishing a presence in New York City. Executive search consultant Ollie Shipp heads the new location, relocating from the U.K.;
- London-headquartered executive recruiting firm eg.1 opened is first office in the U.S., establishing a location in New York City. The firm is led by Victoria Gumbley. She has assumed the title of vice president of North America, relocating from London to New York;
- London-based executive search firm Erevena opened its first U.S. office, establishing a location in San Francisco. The office is being led by partner Terry Shaw and principal consultant Max Levy, who relocated from London. Further additions the office are expected in coming months.
Contributed by Dale M. Zupsansky, Managing Editor, Hunt Scanlon Media