March 6, 2017 – The Oakland Raiders have retained Turnkey Search to lead the organization’s search for a new vice president of human resources. Turnkey will search for and screen qualified candidates for the role, guiding the franchise to the next phase of growth of its business operations team.
The incoming HR executive will provide comprehensive human resources leadership for the Raiders, including: culture creation, organizational development, integration, executive coaching, diversity, strategic direction, policy development, recruiting, employee relations, and compensation & benefits.
The leader will serve as the strategic driving force behind a collaborative effort to develop and implement the future framework of the Raiders’ franchise through the identification of talent, the integration of that talent across its business lines and the development of programs to further skill- and culture-based employee engagement. Additionally, the HR head will drive all human resource-related functions, including compliance, employee evaluation and employee relations.
Later this year, Hunt Scanlon Media will present its first ever roundup of leading recruiters in the sports & entertainment field. It is one of the most explosive growth areas in executive search. If your firm belongs on this roster, please connect with us so you don’t miss out. We’re looking for 50 trailblazers!
Recruitment, Culture & Organizational Development, Employee Relations
The chosen HR leader will direct the overall strategy creation and implementation of the organizational development of the Raiders’ franchise and its full deployment across its business lines, including:
- Drive strategy creation and implementation to realize the franchise’s talent acquisition, talent management, organizational and people development needs and goals;
- Envision the organizational structure for the future of the franchise and guide the necessary recruitment programs to meet those needs;
- Serve as the subject matter expert for all talent acquisition needs to support each business line, including the Raider image retail business line; drive the overall recruitment process, including sourcing candidates, screening applicants and candidates, and maintaining full control over its interview and hiring processes;
- Develop training and development initiatives to provide additional learning and growth opportunities for internal staff; work with departmental leaders to identify content and course materials for continued development of staff;
- Orient new employees and ensure adherence to all employee policies and benefits, company culture, human resources programs and employee resources;
- Partner with all managers to evaluate team performance, identify ways to elevate productivity and output and create development initiatives to realize optimum team performance and integration;
- Manage any and all personnel issues, including job satisfaction evaluation, employee engagement, resolving workplace conflict, and handling termination / severance.
The Raiders seek an individual with a minimum of 10 years of experience in HR, preferably in sports, entertainment, hospitality or a related field. Proven experience in the management of a significant talent acquisition initiative is also desired. Proven success in the development of an internal HR function is preferred, but not required. In addition, the organization seeks someone who is highly analytical, detail-oriented, thorough and collaborative.
Established in 1996, Turnkey Search has conducted more than 1,000 executive recruiting placements across the entire landscape of the sports & entertainment industry. It recently completed executive searches for president of the new NHL expansion team in Las Vegas, CFO of the Atlanta Hawks, CRO of the Anaheim Ducks, CMO of the Cleveland Browns and Oakland Raiders, and it placed athletics directors at Michigan, Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Bowling Green and other Division I institutions.
In November, the firm launched an executive coaching division. Tony Ponturo, a pioneer of modern sports marketing and president and CEO of Busch Media Group, joined Turnkey to lead the new practice.
An Expansive Field
The sports & entertainment field is one of the most expanding sectors for executive search businesses. Many C-suite focused recruiting firms are now active in it and some specialize only in the sports field itself, but all are dedicated to providing sports-related executive search and leadership advisory services.
They include in addition to Turnkey, Nolan Partners, CarrSports Consulting, Korn Ferry, Harvard Group International, Prodigy Sports, Marquee Search, SRi, DHR International, Hartmann Mason, College Sports Solutions, Egon Zehnder, Heidrick & Struggles, Ascension Sports Partners, Russell Reynolds Associates, Diversified Search, Odgers Berndtson, Eastman & Beaudine, Alden Associates, Parker Executive Search, Neinas Sports Services, and Collegiate Sports Associates.
Contributed by Dale M. Zupsansky, Managing Editor, Hunt Scanlon Media