April 27, 2016 – Diversified Search has posted revenues of $37.5 million, a 12 percent increase, for 2015. Over the course of last year, the firm’s average fees also rose, by 10 percent, to $90,000 per assignment. Its 44 consultants completed over 400 search mandates in 2015, working from nine offices. Diversified now ranks as the ninth largest search firm in the Americas region, according to the latest statistics report released from Hunt Scanlon Media.
The firm’s board of directors practice had one of its best years and experienced significant demand for candidates across the industry sectors it serves. The firm said it plans to continue to invest and pursue growth in this expanding segment of its business. Diversified also saw high demand for its talent acquisition and leadership solutions services among healthcare, non-profit, higher education, life sciences, industrial and technology enterprises.
During the year, searches in these sectors resulted in a number of high level placements, including LaRay Brown as president and CEO of InterFaith Medical Center in New York, Julie Kane as chief ethics and compliance officer at PG&E Corp., Michelle Nunn as president and CEO of non-profit CARE, and Jorge L. Benitez as a new member of the board of directors at Fifth Third Bancorp.
“We have been able to leverage the experience of several of our consultants who serve on Fortune 500 boards,” said president and CEO Dale E. Jones. “In addition, veteran board of directors consultant Chuck King joined managing director Veronica Biggins this past year in strengthening our board of directors platform.” Ms. Biggins serves on the board of directors of Southwest Airlines and Avnet, while Mr. Jones sits on the boards of Kohl’s and Northwestern Mutual.
Executive Search: Trends In Talent Acquisition
“There is an old paradox in need of an update. It varies based on who you talk to but goes something like this: leadership remains in short supply…the ‘War for Talent’ is either over or just getting started.” — Dale E. Jones, President and CEO of Diversified Search
For the first quarter of 2016, new search bookings at the firm have increased by 28 percent. “We are continuing to see strong leadership demands in healthcare, life sciences and the non-profit sectors,” said Mr. Jones. “Many of these sectors are hungry for innovative and creative leaders who can also deliver sustainable impact around mission and margin.”
Mr. Jones said the firm anticipates a strong year ahead due to repeat client business. He also said the addition of 10 new managing directors will give the firm a big advantage in casting calls for new business as the year unfolds.
Highlights from 2015 include:
- Former Korn Ferry recruiter Mark Mulvanerty joined Diversified Search as managing director in Philadelphia. He serves as a member of the firm’s financial officers practice and works closely with its board practice. With more than 17 years of experience in executive search, Mr. Mulvanerty has served clients in the Fortune 500, private equity firms and small / mid-cap public and private enterprises, with special emphasis on financial officer roles;
- Former CTPartners recruiters John J. Keller and Michel Deschapelles joined Diversified Search as managing directors in the firm’s technology and telecommunications practices. Mr. Keller, who is technology and telecommunications practice leader at Diversified, divides his time between offices in New York and San Francisco. Mr. Deschapelles, who is based in Diversified Search’s Miami office, offers clients a combination of executive search expertise with extensive business experience, having led enterprises in both growth and turnaround environments;
- Guy Sava joined Diversified Search as a managing partner and natural resources practice leader. Mr. Sava was a senior partner with Heidrick & Struggles, where he was a member of both the firm’s industrial and CEO & board practices. He has worked with global manufacturing, chemical, materials, energy and other industrial sector clients in searches for their corporate boards and managed recruiting assignments for executive, general management, and functional leadership positions within the sector;
- Les Stern and Charles King were added to Diversified Search as managing directors. Mr. Stern, previously a partner, corporate development, at CTPartners, was hired to help the firm expand its business by focusing on the recruitment of additional senior recruiting personnel. Mr. King, former CTPartners vice chairman and member of its CEO and board practice, brings diversity specialization to the firm’s expanding board of directors search practice;
- At the beginning of the year, Diversified named Dale Jones as its CEO. Judith M. von Seldeneck, founder of Diversified Search, continues to play an active role in the firm as chairman. Mr. Jones, who joined Diversified in 2013, was previously a vice chairman and partner at Heidrick & Struggles.
Notable searches in 2015 include:
- The placement of Angelica Ocampo as president and CEO for the World Affairs Council of Pittsburgh. The search was led by managing director Andrew Wheeler, practice leader of the firm’s education and not-for-profit practice;
- The recruitment of Dr. Mike Hardin as provost of Samford University. The search was led by managing director Gene Head;
- The recruitment of Chris Rippee as president of Triple/S Dynamics. The search was led by managing director Lauren E. Smith.
Contributed by Dale M. Zupsansky, Managing Editor, Hunt Scanlon Media