April 11, 2016 – Executive search firm Coleman Lew + Associates has been selected by Lenoir-Rhyne University to lead its search for a new president. After 16 years, current president Dr. Wayne B. Powell has decided to retire.
The search is being led by Coleman + Lew managing director Shana Plott, and consultant Robin Rogers.
The school seeks an innovative, visionary, and strategic leader, whose passion and enthusiasm will guide the University as it continues to pursue the goal of being a nationally recognized liberal arts university of choice.
The president of Lenoir-Rhyne University will report to the University board of trustees. Serving as chief executive of the University, the president has ultimate responsibility over all facets of the University. The president will be a full voting member of the board of trustees and serve as a voting member of the executive committee, the finance and investment committee, and the honors and awards committee, and serve as a non-voting member of all other committees of the board.
Specific responsibilities for this position include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Providing transformational leadership, including recruiting, retaining, managing, motivating, and evaluating a professional staff, which in turn provides leadership through all functional disciplines associated with the University;
- Providing strategic and operational business and financial leadership in order to meet enrollment objectives and maximize the effective and efficient use of resources;
- Serving as the face of the University and seek appropriate opportunities to promote and market the University in the community, the region, and nationally (if desired by the board) via the media, public relations activities, and community activities, among others;
- Maintaining and enhancing aggressive fundraising programs to support the University’s work; actively participating in fundraising activities, particularly the execution of capital campaigns, major gift solicitations, and fostering of growth to the endowment;
- Articulating the vision for the future of the University and coordinating planning processes to ensure the University is constantly moving forward, remaining relevant and consistent with current needs;
- Providing leadership, along with the Provost, in recruiting, retaining, and motivating a high quality faculty in an environment that appreciates life-long learning and focuses on meaningful careers and skills for ethical citizenship; establishing policies and procedures for governance of the University.
Lenoir-Rhyne (LRU) is a growing institution with three campus locations: Asheville, NC; Columbia, SC; and Hickory, NC. LRU offers 50-plus graduate and undergraduate majors and programs.
Recruiter Rankings: U.S./Americas Top 50
Hunt Scanlon presents the 50 top U.S./Americas search firms — ranging from the largest recruiting and talent leadership solutions providers to the leading boutique specialists that dominate the list this year.
Coleman Lew + Associates recruits CEOs, board members and senior leaders for national and international companies, institutions of higher education, independent schools, and a wide variety of non-profit organizations. The firm is currently leading executive search assignments for William Peace University, Lyon College as well as the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.
This past fall, Coleman Lew placed Dr. Phinnize J. Fisher as the eighth president of Spartanburg Methodist College. Ken Carrick, Coleman Lew president, and consultant Janet DeLoache led the assignment. The firm also placed Dr. Brian C. Ralph as president of William Peace University.
Contributed by Dale M. Zupsansky, Managing Editor, Hunt Scanlon Media