June 27, 2017 – Chief financial officers continue to be in high demand and hunting them down is keeping many of the nation’s top recruitment operations busier than ever. In one example of this growing appetite for finance leaders, TRANSEARCH International recently recruited Jarrett Pugh as the chief financial officer of Greenberry Industrial LLC. The search was led by consultants Mike Morrow and John Ryan.
Mr. Pugh has an extensive background in executive financial management. He has held several positions in the Gulf Coast area, where he recently worked as the manager of finance and project accounting in the oil, gas, and chemical division of CDI Corporation. He also has a background both as a financial controller and manager of project services. He is also well-versed in financial analysis and strategic forecasting and formulating system optimization structures.
“Jarrett brings the expertise and track record of a successful financial professional, along with the hands-on business experience of a seasoned operations executive,” said Jason Pond, CEO of Greenberry Industrial.
Located in Vancouver, WA, Greenberry Industrial is a wholly owned subsidiary of NAES Corporation, which operates as a subsidiary of the industrial parent, Itochu.
“We’re excited to have had the opportunity to help a long-time client like NAES hire such an outstanding executive for their high-growth Greenberry Industrial subsidiary,” said Mr. Morrow. “We’re confident Jarrett can have a significant long-term impact on the business.”
Recruiter Rankings: Global 25
This year Hunt Scanlon reviewed an exhaustive list of global recruiting providers and culled it down to the top 25 global talent providers that now dominate the recruiting business worldwide.
The Search Consultants
TRANSEARCH is a global search firm with representation in all of the major economic capitals with about 60 offices in over 35 countries. It was founded in 1982 and today completes more than 1,500 senior executive search assignments a year. Its global client base is in the financial services, technology, consumer & retail, life sciences and industrial & resources sectors.
Mr. Morrow has over 22 years of experience identifying high quality candidates in the manufacturing, industrial, technology, and capital equipment spaces, while Mr. Ryan has 28 years of experience in the power, renewables, utilities, and industrial spaces. Their combined industry background enabled the consultants to understand the cross-section of experiences and leadership attributes critical to excelling in Greenberry’s operations and culture.
High Demand for Finance Talent
Recruiters say a need for top flight financial executives has risen, making CFOs much more in demand than other C-suite leaders. And that begs an interesting question: What are “actively-looking” CEOs most after as they team up with headhunters in the pursuit of their next CFO? The position generally serves as right-hand man to the chief executive so the perfect match is critical.
In recent months search firms of all shapes and sizes have placed CFOs at various companies. Here’s a look at just a few from the Hunt Scanlon Media archives:
- TillmanCarlson recruited Terence R. Rogers as EVP and CFO at Roadrunner Transportation Systems. Founder Rob Tillman led the searches. Mr. Rogers previously served for four years as CFO for the Heico Companies.
- Diversified Search placed Sean P. Roddy as CFO for Catholic Charities USA. Nalini Perkins, managing director of the recruiter’s non-profit practice, and Mark Mulvanerty, managing director of its financial officers practice, co-led the assignment. Most recently, Mr. Roddy was a consultant for accounting and financial consulting firm Cordia Partners.
- ON Partners recruited Mike Berry as EVP and CFO of McAfee. Most recently, Mr. Berry served as EVP, CFO, and chief operating officer at FireEye, responsible for worldwide finance, accounting, data analytics, investor relations, facilities, procurement, information technology, manufacturing operations, and internal audit.
- Acertitude placed Anubhav Raj as CFO of Aligned Energy. The search was led by Kevin O’Neill, founder and managing partner, supported by partner Geoffrey Votta. Mr. Raj most recently served as senior vice president of capital markets at TIER REIT.
- Spencer Stuart recruited Richard J. Schmaeling as EVP and CFO of Entercom Communications Corp. Mr. Schmaeling brings deep media expertise and more than 30 years of finance and leadership experience to Entercom. Most recently, he served as CFO at Travel Leaders Group.
- AETHOS Consulting Group placed Douglas L. Ludwig as EVP, treasurer, and CFO of Red Lion Hotels Corporation. Managing director Ken Greger led the assignment. Mr. Ludwig most recently served as CFO of Baha Mar Resorts Limited for the past 10 years.
- The McAulay Smith Firm recruited Alexander Pease as executive vice president and CFO of Snyder’s-Lance, Inc. President Steven Smith led the assignment. Mr. Pease joins the company from McKinsey & Co., where he was a leader in the firm’s global corporate finance and business functions practice working with leading CFOs across a wide range of industries.
- BridgeStreet Partners tapped Temple H. Weiss as CFO of Centennial Real Estate Company. Dave Westberry, managing director of BridgeStreet Partners, led the assignment. Previously, Mr. Weiss served as CFO of several private equity-owned portfolio companies, including CEC Entertainment, Pegasus Solutions and Ace Cash Express.
- WinterWyman placed Gary Eason as CFO at TG Gallagher. Senior vice president and partner Ken Martin led the search. Previously, Mr. Eason was director of finance for Interstate Electrical Services Corporation and the director of finance and administration for Triumph Modular Incorporated.
Contributed by Scott A. Scanlon, Editor-in-Chief; Dale M. Zupsansky, Managing Editor; Stephen Sawicki, Managing Editor; and Chase Barbe, Managing Editor – Hunt Scanlon Media