November 1, 2016 – Executive search firm Wakerobin Partners has been launched in The Woodlands, TX, by Rick Lowry. As a boutique firm, Wakerobin will specialize in recruiting corporate and regional leadership throughout the U.S., working in a myriad of industries and disciplines.
Mr. Lowry has more than 15 years in the search industry, as well as many years in leadership positions in public and private companies. His prior business experience includes several years as vice president of the largest domestic U.S. region with RR Donnelley Financial, where he developed a national network of professionals in public corporations, law firms and accounting firms.
Mr. Lowry was formerly a partner with executive search firm Lowry Rhoads Associates. His work has been in the energy (exploration & production (E&P) and midstream), professional associations, logistics, printing, financial services and non-clinical medical sectors. He has typically focused in the corporate and regional leadership areas (including accounting, finance, tax, compliance, reporting, legal, sales & marketing, development, engineering, and human resources).
“Our focus is developing a deep understanding of our clients’ cultures, strategies, growth and succession plans, so that we can recruit candidates who will lead them to achieving those goals,” said Mr. Lowry. “We understand that we represent our clients when we conduct a search on their behalf, so we evaluate candidates with their needs in mind. Where do they want to go, will this candidate help them get there and beyond? That’s what we’ll be looking at closely.”
Mr. Lowry noted that the E&P and midstream sectors of the energy industry are replacing leaders who are retiring, either by personal or corporate election. Across multiple industries, some clients are using this downturn as an opportunity to review their leadership strengths, he said, “and where possible, upgrade underperforming positions.”
Open for Business
In recent months, a slew of new recruiting firms have opened for business around the world, an obvious nod to boom times in executive search. Here is a look at just a recent sampling from the Hunt Scanlon archives:
- Financial services focused executive search firm Myriarch Advisors has been launched in St. Louis by Matt Huffman. The firm was founded, according to Mr. Huffman, to bring the blended experience of running a corporate executive recruiting function with a specialist executive search practice to clients in the financial services industry. Most recently, Mr. Huffman built and led the executive recruiting function for the corporate headquarters of Edward Jones;
- Zephyr Maritime has been launched in London focusing solely on mid to senior level shore based appointments within the maritime industry. Behind the initiative is founder Alexander G. Tsavliris, who has four generations of maritime heritage behind him and a successful background in recruiting;
- Executive search veteran David Winterburn has launched Burns Tempest, a senior level executive search and selection business that will specialize in a range of assignments throughout the U.K. Mr. Winterburn has experience in a number of sectors, including food and drink; banking and finance; legal; construction; manufacturing / engineering; pharmaceutical / scientific; IT; business services; and renewable energy;
- Macdonald Lewis Associates Limited was launched to provide executive search services to the life sciences industry. The firm is led by life sciences talent management veteran Susan Macdonald;
- Former FiveTen Group chief executive officer, John Rose, launched executive search firm Vered Consulting. Mr. Rose has spent the past 12 years in a variety of CEO positions, spanning a wide variety of business types from a private equity-backed group and U.K. AIM-listed company, through to the U.K. division of a NASDAQ-listed business.
Contributed by Dale M. Zupsansky, Managing Editor, Hunt Scanlon Media